Monday, January 21, 2008

Happy MLK Day


I’d love to be able to tell you that I spent Martin Luther King Jr. Day doing something redeeming and in the spirit of Dr. King. I would love to be able to say that my day off was used to serve the cause of racial unity and brotherhood.

Instead, I spent today like most people spent today, sleeping late and slacking off. I managed to watch some television news, where every politician that is running for president paid traditional lip service to the late Nobel Peace Prize winner and native Georgian. I think the saintliness described to Dr. King, who was not a saint, and by the non-stop political whoring of his legacy by politicians, religious figures, activists, and even his own family, have turned many people away from any meaningful observation of his holiday.

I recently bought N.W.A.’s ‘Straight Outta Compton’ 20th anniversary CD. I can’t believe that album, one of rap’s finest and the definitive album of the “Gangster Rap” genre is 20 years old. I listened to the CD today, and couldn’t help think that Dr. King would be pretty disgusted by the overwhelming majority of rap music. Still, it’s a great album, and illustrates the terrible decline that rap music has suffered in the years since it was released.

No comments: