Friday, January 02, 2009

Welcome 2009


Few people think that 2008 was a good year. The worst economic disaster in the lifetime of anyone under the age of 67 started this year, though it shouldn’t have surprised anyone to learn that our recession began last year. Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan continued to kill scores of Americans (U.S. death toll so far for the Iraq War: 4,221; for Afghanistan: 630). Several friends were laid off from work. Two people close to me passed away last year. I found one of their phone numbers still in my cell phone. I still haven’t deleted it. Good riddance, 2008.


I welcomed 2009 with a small group of friends. Like St. Patrick’s Day, New Year’s Eve becomes a giant amateur hour in New York’s bars. Prices and crowds go up and common sense bottoms out. I went to Connecticut and spent the night at the home of some high school friends, sitting by a fire and drinking in the wisdom of the great philosopher James B. Beam.


And like the start of every year, this year offers a new start, a new beginning. Things can be different, better, if we work hard enough for it.


Happy New Year.

No comments: