Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Another Birthday...


Today is my birthday. I try not to mention it to people, as I don’t like celebrating it, but my family, friends and co-workers were too good to let me forget it.


I don’t have much to say about my birthday, it is not a milestone year by any measure and I have no profound observations of the day.


One thing I have noticed is that my glum moods in years past were not justified. Every year on my birthday, starting at age 23, I would get very glum and feel old and unaccomplished.


I’m still relatively unaccomplished, but I realize now that I spent too much time sulking and not living when I was younger. Ages that seemed old to me then seem young to me now.



When I turned 30, things seemed to get better. A friend of mine who is in his 50s, told me that turning 30 would be OK. He said he had more fun in his 30s than he did in his 20s. So far I have too.


The secret to live is to keep living it. Indulge every adventurous whim and creative urge you have, and you will not be sorry. That’s the choicest piece of wisdom I have accumulated these past 37 years.

No comments: